For most homeowners, a master bathroom is one of the most important aspects of a new custom home—a place where you can treat yourself to a bit of luxury and relaxation after a long day. As one of the most important features of your home, a well-designed bathroom adds value, comfort, and practicality: an investment sure to pay itself back many times over. But creating the perfect bathroom can be a challenge that may be difficult to get right—requiring both creativity and ingenuity. If you’re considering redesigning a bathroom or building one from scratch, check out Annadel Builders’ top ideas for creating a luxurious master bathroom!
- Spa-like shower. The first decision you should make about the layout of your bathroom is: Shower or bath? If you decide to go with shower, consider including a mix of overhead rain can and handheld shower heads mounted at different angles, creating a crisscross spa-like massage. To enhance the spa effect, choose elegant tile, soft chandelier lighting, and soothing background colors.
- Luxurious tub. If, on the other hand, you choose to go with a tub, you’re in luck. There are many different styles, each one more luxurious than the last. Your only difficulty may be choosing just one! From jetted tubs to Japanese soaking tubs, to freestanding, platform, in-ground, or dual shower tub combo, you’ve got lots of options! Two key things to keep in mind are lighting and view. Consider where your windows are facing, what kind of lighting they give, and the effect the natural lighting will have on your indoor fixtures. You don’t want lighting so bright that it gives you headache, or so dark that it’s difficult for you to see when you’re getting ready. What you’re going for is a gentle ambience. Ideally, our Sonoma fine home builders like a window where natural light spills in through the trees for a perfect mixture of privacy and gentle lighting, likely to create a relaxing and soothing environment.
- His and Her sinks. Unless you’re designing a private bathroom, including separate sinks is a must in terms of utility. No more taking turns in the morning, no more cleaning up after one another—you’ll both be able to get ready at the same time! As far as sinks go, there are lots of different options out there. In order to narrow down your selection, first choose between a one-piece sink and a self-rimming sink, then look for sinks that match the overall style, dimensions, and colors of the rest of your bathroom.
- Flattering lighting and mirrors. This one is pretty intuitive. As the place where you’ll spend the most time getting ready, your bathroom is going to need lighting and mirrors that make you look and feel good. Ideally, you’re going to want to install eye level wall-mount lights on each side of a mirror and above it.
- Calming palette. Colors play a major role in creating a serene bathroom setting. For a soothing mood, choose warm, neutral earth tones that create a rich, yet rustic feel. For more of a spa-inspired design, pair crisp, white lines with natural hue tiles.
- Added technology. Enhance your relaxation experience with hidden televisions, Bluetooth enabled tubs, hidden cabinet speakers, heated flooring, or programmable shower settings. These extra add-ons will allow you to enjoy relaxation and entertainment simultaneously, and help create the environment of leisure that you’re going for. Our Napa fine home builders can recommend a whole host of the latest and most exciting smart technologies to enhance the experience of your custom master bath!