Moving into a new home can be both an exciting and an extremely stressful experience. From the logistics of picking up and relocating your life to the uncertainty of meeting new people in a new neighborhood, moving takes both a mental and a physical toll, but there’s nothing to ease the stress of a move like friendly and welcoming neighbors. At Annadel Builders Inc., we care about creating beautiful neighborhoods that help facilitate a richer community life. If you’re looking for ways to nurture a welcoming community for new homeowners, check out seven of our Marin County home builders’ top tips below:
- Bring a home baked treat. A classic house warming gift for good reason, homemade baked goods are especially thoughtful for neighbors still in the process of reassembling their kitchen. Consider baking a desert like cookies, muffins, brownies, etc., or going for something more practical like a casserole, while making sure to keep common allergies in mind.
- Treat them to a local specialty. Are there any specialties your Napa or Sonoma County town is known for? Consider collecting a few of these as a way to introduce your neighbors to the community! Whether a brand of local wine, preserves, or handcrafted soap, it will serve the double purpose of welcoming your neighbors while sharing a little of what makes your Wine Country hometown unique.
- Drop off your neighborhood or block directory. While it may seem a little old-fashioned, a directory is a great way to gather basic information and help keep your neighborhood connected. If your neighborhood does not have a directory, this would be an excellent opportunity to organize one! Taking on such a project involves collecting information, such as names, phone numbers, email addresses, and other small important details such as lists of pets in the neighborhood.
- Wrap up a list of your favorite take-out menus. Gather all your favorite local take-out menus, circle any dishes that particularly stand out, and wrap them in bow. Perhaps even include a gift card to your favorite eatery! While your neighbors could simply look up reviews online, this thoughtful gesture adds a personal touch and opens the doorway for a future shared experience.
- Deliver some vegetables, herbs, or flowers freshly picked from your garden. If you happen to have a garden, and the season is right, consider sharing some of your produce. This act will be generous, casual, and—most assuredly—much appreciated.
- Bring a bottle of wine. It’s hard to go wrong with a bottle of wine in Napa and Sonoma counties. Tasteful and thoughtful, wine is the perfect way to welcome new neighbors. In the midst of beautiful Wine Country, we have our pick of the crop when it comes to wine, so consider buying locally.
- Assemble a traditional housewarming basket. Assembling a traditional housewarming basket is a fun, welcoming gesture. Conventionally, each item in the basket can have a special meaning: olive oil for health and well-being, salt for spice of life, wood for stability, etc. Have fun with this one and add a creative note to each item to explain its significance. A gesture like this will most definitely make any neighbor feel welcomed and wanted in their new community.